The Whitefriars Theatre was located in the priory of the Whitefriars monastery on the north side of the River Thames (named after the colour of the monk's habits). Michael Drayton and Thomas Woodford converted the refectory hall to a private theatre in 1606 following the success of the Blackfriars. Both of these early private playhouses were roofed, fully seated and used artificial light. London's private playhouses were often used by companies of child actors. Children of the King's Revels occupied it from 1608 to 1609, succeeded by Children of the Queen's Revels from 1609 to 1613. In the latter year the Queen's Revels merged with an adult company, Lady Elizabeth's Men, and in 1614 the combined troupe moved to the Hope Theatre. By 1629 the Whitefriars had been replaced by the Salisbury Court Theatre.